Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Sample/Practice/Free HCPCS Coding Questions
1. HCPCS codes are used to enhance medical education and research by providing a vehicle for local, regional and national utilization comparison and pricing information.
2. HCPCS codes are mandated for medicare claims and are required by many state Medicaid offices.
3. A 25-year-old female comes into the hospital outpatient OB/GYN clinic for her scheduled injection of Depo-Provera 150mg for the purpose of contraception. Select the appropriate HCPCS code for the drug administered.
4. A patient is given a four week supply of calictoni-salmon 200 units to be given weekly for hypercalcemia. The provider also gives the patient the appropriate supplies. Select the appropriate HCPCS codes for medication and supplies given, and for the injections to use at home.
a. A4215 X 4, J0630
b. A4211 X 4, J0800 X 20
c. A4206 X 4, A4245 X 4, J0800 X 10
d. A4211, J0630 X 2
5. A nine year old suffered traumatic BKA (Below Knee Amputation) upon release from the hospital, the patient received a wheelchair with fixed full length arms, swing-away and detachable, elevated leg rests. Select the appropriate HCPCS code for the wheelchair.
6. A patient who suffers from head and neck cancer is sent home from the hospital with enteral nutrition with standardized nutrients, two days worth (32 units) with consecutive days to be supplied by home health. On the patient’s second day at home, the alarm goes off on the patient’s infusion pump. The patient presents to the hemotology/oncology clinic the hospital where the pump was replaced. Select the appropriate HCPCS code for the patient’s pump replacement.
a. B9000, B4222 X 2
b. B9002, B4155 X 32
d. B9000, B4164
7. A 45-year-old woman presents to the ambulatory surgical center at the hospital for a unilateral simple mastectomy for breast cancer. During the surgery, the surgeon implants a single saline prosthesis. Select the appropriate HCPCS code.