Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Sample CPC/CPC-H Questions 2
Sample/Practice/Free CPC/CPC-H Coding Exam Questions
1. Jill is a 29-year-old patient of Dr. Marks. She is seen by Dr. Marks for a cough with wheezing and yellow-colored mucus of three days’ duration, as well as four days of external bleeding hemorrhoids and diarrhea. Dr. Marks gives Jill Amoxicillin for acute viral bronchitis, instructions for care of external hemorrhoids, and a diet plan to assist with the diarrhea. What diagnoses should Dr. Marks use for this encounter?
a. 466.0, 455.5, 787.91
b. 787.91, 466.11, 455.5
c. 466.11, 787.91, 455.2
d. 466.0, 455.8, 787.91
2. What HCPCS Level II code describes Ensure HN therapy with an enteral infusion pump with alarm?
a. B4150, B9002
b. B4152, B9000
d. None of the above
3. Which types of joints are considered synovial?
a. Suture joint, medial joint, and articulation joint
b. Ball-and-socket joint, hinge joint, and saddle joint
c. Pivot joint, talus joint, and cranial joint
d. Ball-and socket joint, nasal joint, and elevation joint
4. A physician applied a cast and also provided all of the subsequent fracture care. The same physician may report the application of the cast separately from the fracture care.
5. Immediately prior to inserting a permanent pacemaker and placing an electrode in the ventricle, the same physician surgically created a pocket to hold the pulse generator. How should the physician report the creation of the pocket?
a. Skin pocket is included
c. 33222, 33215-51
6. What modifier should be used for an incomplete colonoscopy when the patient was prepared for a full colonoscopy?
d. None of the above
7. A physician inserts a single temporary transvenous pacing catheter into the right atrium and connects the electrode to an external pulse generator. How should the physician report these services?
8. A surgeon performs a diagnostic laparoscopy followed by a laparoscopic
nephrectomy (including partial ureterectomy). How should the physician report these services?
b. 49320, 50546-51
9. It is appropriate to separately report a visceral repair when a closure of an
ureterovisceral fistula is performed during the same surgical session.
10. A dermatologist excises a 3.5 cm benign lesion from a patient’s back. After the lesion is successfully removed, the dermatologist performs an intermediate 3.5 cm layered closure. How should you report these services?
a. 11404, 12031
b. 11404, 12032-51
d. 11404, 12032-57
11. How would a physician report a bilateral diagnostic nasal endoscopy followed by endoscopic debridement of the nasal cavity during the same operative session?
a. 31240, 31237
12. What is the name of a procedure that involves the passage of an endoscope down through the esophagus?
13. A physician excises a lesion from the iris of the right eye. How should the physician report these services?
14. A patient presents to have corns removed from his foot. The physician performs paring to successfully remove four lesions. How should the physician report these services?
b. 11056, 12000
c. 11056 x 4
15. The subsection microbiology in the Pathology and Laboratory section of the CPT Manual includes codes for bacteriology, mycology, parasitology, and virology.
16. A 13-year-old patient suffering from end-stage renal disease received a full month of services, including growth and development assessment, parent counseling, and monitoring of adequate nutrition. These services were completed in an outpatient facility. How would the physician report these services?
b. 97803, 90924
17. A patient is admitted to the hospital for insertion of 15 interstitial radiation ribbons. How would the facility report the radiology services?
b. 99222, 77763
d. 77762 x 15
18. Mrs. Smith was seen by her family physician, Dr. Marks. Mrs. Smith complains she has had a sore throat, breathing problems, and a fever for five days. She is a diabetic patient and has been taking over-the-counter medications that have interfered with her insulin medication. Dr. Marks documented a detailed history, detailed examination, and moderately complex decision-making. Dr. Marks spent 35 minutes with the patient during the examination. How should the physician report this service?
19. Pediatric critical care patient transport codes include vascular access procedures, blood gases, and review of information data stored in computer.
20. An anesthesiologist administers anesthesia for a male patient prior to the surgeon performing a total hip replacement. The patient is 75 years old and suffers from mild hypertension. How should you code the anesthesia services?
a. 01214, 99100-59
c. 01214-P2, 99100
Posted by Anand at 8:57 AM